Tides and Currents
Don’t get pushed around! Know your tides and currents.
Discover what causes the tides to rise and fall and what causes the currents to flow. Learn where to find sources of information about tides and tidal currents, simple ways to predict the height of tide and speed of current flow, and how to use both print and electronic tide tables. Learn about how tides and currents affect your boat’s performance from experienced coastal boaters.
Each student receives a full-color Student Guide for this two-hour seminar.
- Causes and effects of tides and currents
- Predict the time of highest tide before it begins to fall
- Predict the vertical movement of the water
- Safely navigate the low tide
- Determine the speed of the current and when it reached maximum flood
- Deal with mean high and low water
- Use NOAA charts and tables
- Factor in tides and currents when anchoring